Wednesday 15 January 2014

Squires Events

I was 13 when I planned my first event. At that point I had no intention of becoming an event planner, I didn't know such a career existed. 
The event was a small fun day comsisting of various craft stalls, a raffle, an ice cream van and a visit from a Peppa Pig mascot. 
It was great and a lot of people commented on how good it was, I desperately wanted to do more like this but knew I had to focus on school.

Shortly after I did a sponsored swim, that was a pretty easy event to organise as the swimming pool were very generous and willing to help and a lot of my friends liked swimming, it was the ideal event really and it was around that time I started looking into doing events as a career. 

A few years later I went to a charity ball, it was the first one I'd been to and not only was it really well organised, it had a really good vibe to it.

A few weeks later I told my parents that I wanted to organise a ball, maybe I wasn't aware of how much of a task it would be but my parents let me as I hadn't done an event in a while and they knew it was something I was passionate about.

I spent a total of six months organising the ball and blimey it was hard work. Booking a venue, selling tickets, finding decorations, printing tickets, sourcing entertainment and a photographer. It all fell into place in the end though and was most definitely worth the six months of hard work.

Over the next few months I researched and researched and I read blog after blog. I finally felt ready to go into events but I wasn't doing this alone. My mum was actually prepared to go into the business with me as she has also developed a passion for events. My dad, has been supportive with every ambitious idea I've had and this most recent one is no exception, he knows it is something which is important to me.

The business is in early days yet but I'm hoping it all works out. In my school they're always telling us that we should have a backup plan if it all works out, my backup plan is to try again. Giving up is the worst form of failure.

x~Jess~x

No comments:

Post a Comment