Sunday 12 January 2014

What is smart?

Often, I find that if somebody is referred to as smart they are referring that they are very academic. They're academically smart, an A* student. 

I don't believe this is necessarily true. Some of the people I would see as being smart haven't got A*'s but they have made smart decisions which has led them to be successful today. 

In my opinion being smart means being able to seize and opportunity and make the most of each day. To me it's not about what grades you get, the hardest working people aren't always the ones that get the best grades at school. 

I have a very mixed group of friends, some of them will spend hours revising and they'll come out with A*'s and be really happy with that - as anyone would be. 
However some of my friends are a bit more like me, they still work hard and spend hours revising but the results are still average at best and from my point of view, you feel a bit useless. 

But everyone is unique and has a unique set of skills. Lord Sugar may not have got the best results in school but he hasn't done to badly today. He had ambition, he knew what he wanted and was doing everything he could to make that dream possible. 

It does annoy me slightly when I hear someone say "they're really smart" what makes them so much better than you? Everyone's equal. You don't know if someone that has come out with grades C will do better than the ones that come out with A*'s. Nobody is able to tell the future and personally, although I do revise I would much rather spend my time exploring and appreciating this world as nobody knows when this experience is going to end. 

So I guess this is a message to everyone out there that's in a similar position to me, worries about grades and is an average student. Don't worry. Everything will always work out in the end even if things don't go to plan the first time round. We only have a limited time on this earth and we shouldn't dwell on the things we cannot change, accept that things do not always go the way that you want or even expect them too. Focus on your dreams and how you're going to achieve them.

x~Jess~x

No comments:

Post a Comment